Facing Short Battery life trouble after upgrade to MacOS Sierra? Look at the following tips to maximize battery life with Mac OS X 10.12.
Turn Off Spotlight Indexing
That disable Spotlight indexing would help to improve your battery life a lot. How to turn it off? System Preferences > Hit Spotlight > Privacy tab > Next > Click on + button on the bottom left > select the hard drive or particular folder you want to to prevent it from searching these locations > OK.
Get away from Firefox
Using some particular apps such as firefox significantly reduces the mac’s battery life. Just witch using Google chrome instead.
Handle energy saver settings
System Preferences > Click on Energy Saver button in the screen > Tick all the available checkboxes to saving energy during the mac’s operating.
In additional, Turning off Notifications (System Preference > Notifications) and disabling Mail’s auto check mode are other effective solutions to improve battery life with MacOS Sierra.
Photo Booth is a cool feature. However, you may face that Photo Booth is working very slow, take the below solution to fix.
- Go to /user/Pictures/
2. Move all images in Photo Booth Library folder to somewhere else, the Photo Booth then will work as fast as it should be.
Finder is too slow on MacOS Sierra and constantly freezes? Are you facing Abnormally Slow Folder Opening & Folder Populating? Look at the following solution to fix.
Fix completely if Finder working slowly in MacOS Sierra
- From Sierra Finder window, press Command+Shift+G to call “Go To Folder” function and enter the following path:
- Find and copy the following files into somewhere in the desktop for backup solution, then delete them completely: CloudKitMetadata, CloudKitMetadata-shm, CloudKitMetadata-wal
- Next step, Access “Activity Monitor” (found in Applications/Utilities/), search with “cloudd” keyword to launch cloudd
- Next, Quit the cloudd process to refresh it.
Done! The problem must be solved now.
All above step can be done through Terminal (found in Applications/Utilities/) by entering the following command line:
rm ~/Library/Caches/CloudKit/CloudKitMetadata*;killall cloudd
There will be variety of mail issues that you may face after upgrading to the new MacOS Sierra. Your particular case probably belongs to one of the following problems.
Mail configure problem
You can not verify your email account due to wrong configuration. Just use this useful tool to get your email account set correctly.
iCloud account issue
Sending email using iCloud account after upgrading to MacOS Sierra fails? Take the below steps to fix.
- System Preferences –> iCloud –> uncheck the box beside Mail –> Close System Preferences.
- Launch Mail app –> Preferences –> Account –> Choose iCloud
- Get your “Outgoing Mail Server” configured in the right way
For this case, you should download the latest software patch released by Microsoft.
How to fix freeze issue with Mail under MacOS Sierra?
If your Mail app has been crashing on launch, take the following steps.
- Quit the Mail completely
- Turn Off WiFi
- Launch Mail app, access Mail>Preferences>Accounts
- Disable existing accounts added one by one by uncheck the box beside each account
- Quit the Mail again, then get your Mac connected to the internet, then relaunch the Mail again.
- This step is important: Enable all account one by one again, but remember that you should let each account download all it’s mail before move over to the next one.
Other Mail problems after upgrading to MacOS Sierra?
1. Quit mail
2. Go to web mail (access your inbox via a browser with same login as in Mail)
3. Delete one message (preferably spam)
4. Launch the Mail app again to see the positive results.
This happens really on users who using airplay with MacOS Sierra, El Capitan, or any Mac OS X versions. The symptoms are it works after a long delay or does not work at all. How to fix this issue?
Changing your firewall preferences will solve Airplay not working correctly.
How to fix if Handoff and AirDrop not working in MacOS Sierra? Whatever your problems are, just take the following steps to get they working correctly.
- Your firstly turn off Bluetooth.
- Then remove the following file: /Library/Preferences/com.apple.Bluetooth.plist
- Finally, turn the Bluetooth back on
Done! Handoff and AirDrop must work correctly under MacOS Sierra now.
ToVerify & Repair Permissions in MacOS Sierra, you can do by using command lines with Terminal. However, this is quite complicated. We better use the old Disk Utility – Yosemite version.
Download Disk Utility 10.10 (Yosemite version) here.
- Open Disk Utility app
- Select the disk from the list of volumes.
- Click on the First Aid tab.
- To check permissions, click Verify Disk Permissions. To repair permissions, click Repair Disk Permissions.
How to fix if the drives (External Hard Drive) do not show up under MacOS Sierra when plugged in?
That perform SMC reset will solve the problem.
In a simple case that the drive is mounted and appear in the left-side bar from Finder window, but the volumes do not show up anywhere on the desktop screen, just go to “Finder Preference” (Finder > Preferences > General), un-check then check on “External disks” options.
It is quite simple to turn on Root user under MacOS Sierra. Just take the following steps.
- From MacOS Sierra screen, launch “Directory Utility”
- Click on the “clock” at the bottom left corner, you then need to enter your admin password to unlock.
- Drop down the “Edit menu” and select “Enable Root User”.
- You then will be asked for the root password twice.
- Done! The Root user is enabled on your Mac
The following steps really make it simple to get MacOS Sierra installed to an independent partition and dual boot El Capitan, Yosemite,…
Making a New Partition & Installing MacOS Sierra to Dual Boot the Mac
- Launch “Disk Utility” and select the hard disk you want to create a new partition to install the MacOS Sierra into —> Click on “Partition” tab —> Click on Plus (+) button to create a new Partition.
- Set a name (MacOS Sierra is an example) and a reasonable size for the new disk. Finally click on “Apply” button to finish the process.
Start installing MacOS Sierra
- Download MacOS Sierra: At the time you reach this article, MacOS Sierra probably is released officially by Apple. It is easy to download Sierra app from Apple store into Application folder. Otherwise, go to this topic to download Sierra.DMG.
- From El Capitan, Yosemite or other current Mac OS X version using, run Sierra app or Sierra.DMG to start the installation process.
- The important thing is that you must select the MacOS Sierra Disk which had been created in the above steps.
Just follow the further steps, you are going to finish job soon to get MacOS Sierra dual booted with El Capitan, Yosemite,…
To make a clean install of MacOS Sierra, you may want to take a look on our another topic.